One tropical storm can change your entire life.
The powerfulness of this destructive phenomenon can rip through a family and community in less than minutes.
Did you know, in the US, 8 out of the 10 costliest disasters have been from hurricanes? If you live in an area prone to hurricanes or tropical storms, now is the best time to prepare!
Below are a few tips on how to prepare.
• Have a communications plan with your family and friends.
• Make sure you know your town’s evacuation routes and discuss these with your family and members of your household.
• Check your home, car and family insurance plans to determine your coverage for flood and storms.
• Stay informed by getting emergency alerts on your phone and email.
Basic Emergency Supply Kit
• One gallon of water per person per day for drinking and sanitation. In warmer climates your water needs may increase. Make sure to have a 3 day supply in your house at all times. And don’t forget your pets!
• Food, at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food for you, your family, and your pets
• Manual can opener, utensils and plates
• Keep several flashlights and lanterns with extra batteries in a clean dry area.
• Make sure your first aid kit is up to date and stocked with enough supplies for your household.
• Cell phone with chargers, inverter or solar charger
• Whistle to signal for help
• Invest in a fire and water proof lock box to store all important family documents (SS cards, Passports, Insurance information, Bank accounts) as well as cash, change and travelers checks.
Additional Supply Kit Items
• Make sure you have a supply of your prescription medications.
• Have a supply of infant formula and diapers, if needed.
• Matches in a waterproof container
• Keep a fire extinguisher in a dry place.
• Cash or traveler’s checks
• Paper and a Pencil
• Consider having extra bedding, blankets and warm clothing at the ready.
• Have a complete change of clothing (for all seasons) available. Consider having it with your other supplies in an overnight bag for quick exits.